There's Kword is an excellent alternative to MS Word in Mandrake 7.2.
Havent tried it yet.  But I checked it out as Koffice is integrated together
like Office 2000.  Lookin' like a window killer.  hehe
----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Scottaline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: [[newbie] 7th question - word processing - you only thought i
was finished]

"Adrian Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> yea, another question.
> as mentioned before i am a writer - so duh....  guess what i use my
computer
for the most.  my goal is to convert over to Linux as close to full time as
possible on the 1st of the year.

> can anyone recomend any good word processors?  StarOffice is waaaay too
much
for me.  AbiWord (is that the right name.....) seems rather nice & could
work
fine for me.  what i would really adore is something that spell checks with
oxford english.  maybe some of you folks across the pond could help me with
that one?

> thanks very much
=========================
If StarOffice is way to much for you because of its size, and afterall, all
you really want is a word processor that handles .doc files easily, you can
try abiword, but I've found it to be a bit unreliable with formatting
properly
(although it will bring up the words ;o) )  SO is much better at handling
M$Office documents.  You might want to try Applixwords.  It's usually part
of
a suite, but the word processor can be purchased (yeah, not freeware)
separately for about US$40, I believe.  It also handles .doc files very well
and does a good job of maintaing formatting.
HTH,
Mike

"Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol
than alcohol has taken out of me."
--Winston Churchill

http://home.netscape.com/webmail