> The install disk does not appear to be bootable.  I burned it as a iso9660 file
>rather
> than the Joliet system. It shows up ok as an executable on the cdrom but it is not

You have to go one step beyond choosing a file system format.  You didn't
mention what software you're using so I've got to stay generic with advice
but what you need to do if find the option that lets you "create an
image", "create a raw image" or something like that.

> a self starter. Should I use my 7.1 boot disk to start it or do I have to make a new
>  boot disk somehow? Can't find anything in the archives or in the other help sites

Jump into your bios and set things up so you can boot off the CD and do
that.

Cheers --- Larry