It may just be that you don't have DNS entries set up.  Are you pinging an
IP address or a domain name?  If you have the IP of a particular domain, can
you http to that IP address instead of the domain name?  When you telnet,
are you using an IP or domain?
Normally as far as I know when you can ping an IP and not a name it's DNS
related.