I'm using a KDE desktop and XFree4 under Mandrake 7.2 with
an ATI Mach64 video card and a Hitachi CM751U monitor.

With DPMS enabled, the monitor blanks for a few seconds
after the timeout period set with xset, but then an "Invalid
Scan Freq." message appears from the monitor and the screen
shows a garbled video signal. Pressing any key brings back
the desktop.

In the BIOS (ABIT BH6 rev. 1.1) I have ACPI disabled and APM
enabled. I also disabled the BIOS-level power management.
I've tried Video Off Methods: "DPMS", "Blank Screen", "V&H
Sync + Blank Screen" respectively; nothing fixes the
problem.

Any suggestions on how to get the screen to stay blank
during standby?

Many thanks in advance.

(P.S. In general I'd like to learn more about how Mandrake
supports desktop power management.  Can anyone point me in
the right direction?)