I discovered the problem is not the version of numlock but the file to invoke:

In Mandrake 7.1, the command to enter was "numlock".
In Mandrake 7.2 it is "/usr/X11R6/bin/enable_X11_numlock" (without the
quotes).

The 7.1 kde autostart folder is no longer functional.  The new autostart
folder in 7.2 is ~/.kde/autostart.

The kde2 in Mandrake 7.2 overwrites the root window so that commands like
xsetroot no longer take effect.

etc., etc.

Is there somewhere where one can read the changes made so as not to waste
days trying to devine what Mandrake did here or there?

Thanks.

--
Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Registered Linux User 348854