With "Different output modes" I mean the printing option "Output mode".
One can choose between "Photo", "Solid tones", "Line art", and "black
and white". Look at the place where you have adjusted the resolution of
the printer ("Configure printer" in web interface or after right-click
on printer in kups, "Options" in xpp, "Properties" in qtcups).

   Till