Oliver L. Plaine Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:54:13 -0800, Alan S wrote:
> >Olly....I can think offhand of two basic approaches.
> >
> >One would be to boot up on your other Linux system, login
> > as root and use fdisk to delete partition 4 and then log
> > out and reboot with the installation CD and let it do the
> > partitioning automatically telling it to use the
> >unpartitioned area of the drive at the proper time.
> >
> >The other also would be to boot up on your other Linux
> >system, login as root and this time to use fdisk to add
> > the partitions inside partition 4 and then log out and
> > reboot with the installation CD.  Then boot up with the
> > installation CD and when it asks, assign the mount points
> > yourself. --
> >Alan
>
> --------------------------------------
> Wed, 22 Nov 2000  02:13:12
>
> Both logical solutions Alan, but my other system is in a
> old P-166 across the room (no lan 8-) .and my Tom's
> rootboot is too old for Mdk 7.2...........but I think I am
> over...
>
>       Here is the saga, long and plaintive... I started with a
> 2g fat16 with W95 newly on, a brand new 20 gig Ibm
> Deskstar..working well, even the PCI modem...the rest of
> the disc" Bare".
>
>       I started the MDK 7.2 install and rapidly  arrived at
> "expert" Disc partitioning ...I made another 2gig fat and
> then a 30m Linux boot and the forth primary went to an
> extended linux partition for the rest of the disc...
>
>       For some reason? I stuck in a floppy and hit the "write
> table to backup" button (or similar)...man I am so glad I
> did, because this install was spiraling out of control,I
> would have been in the same condition as Pauls
> install...... but for that floppy I would have lost the
> table. A normal person would have waited until the table
> was complete to back it up?
>
>       After I tried to put linux partitions on the extended,
> nothing worked as advertised ..it would accept one and then
> overwrite it .....then it would give the old "proceed at
> your own risk" error that Paul mentioned as he lost
> his.....then the whole install froze tight...
>       I was compelled to hit reset and boot back to the CD-Rom,
> work forward to the part table, and then recover from the
> floppy... back to the extended partition like clockwork....
>
>       I tried every way even putting swap 1st in the extended?
> after rebooting several more times ( love that floppy)...I
> decided to do a delete on the extended and run the
> wizard.....well that worked OK and KDE sits before me in
> nice color....
>
>       In summery, I will say I am not happy with the fact that I
> have no separate Var and home, and all the other things I
> like to do with partitions...I sadly miss the  Fdisk option
> of Helios 6.1 and doubt that I will be able to live without
> a separate home at the minimum...I wish they would have
> given me an option to choose Fdisk.
>
>       I will mail these discs to Australia tomorrow, but I plan
> [...]

Olly....sorry, I misread your original message and thought
that you said that you had a previous version of Linux active
on your computer.  That was the 'other Linux system' to which
I was referring.  However, instead you could use the rescue
capabilities of your installation CD (or tomsrtbt) to do the
same things I already suggested
--
Alan