Um...it was a retorical question actually. There are some very good and at
time, obvious reasons why certain things can't be done as the 'root'
user. They are for security reasons and for the saftey of the system. The
folks that have the most trouble learning this are those that expect Linux
to behave like windows. Thus, you find some new linux users very
frustrated when they're getting started.

Where to find the information is for the most part on your hard drive in
the form of HOWTO's and program documentation. Which, by the way, you will
find in /usr/doc, AND all over the web at sites like linux.com
www.mandrake.com just to name a few. It's hard though to see the forest
for the trees when one is very frustrated when they're on what seems to be
a fruitless search for something that "appears" to be beyond their reach.

I know I'm not the only one that has done this, therefore I say this as
such...the VERY first thing I did when I started with Linux was
"read!" When I was done reading I read some more until I had at least an
inkling of what I was getting into. I came at Linux with the undertanding
this OS was NOT windows nor did I expect it to act like windows. When one
understands this very basic, but very important reality, suddenly Linux
takes on a whole new aura. The once hidden things about Linux suddenly
begin to reveal themselves.

--
Mark

/ * Sometimes it becomes necessary to rock the boat
  * in order to get the rats up from below decks
  * so they can be kicked over the side and drowned!
  *
  *     REGISTERED LINUX USER # 182496
  */

On 22 Nov 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] had this to say!