Dennis Myers wrote:

> patrick wrote:
> >
> > Tom Brinkman wrote:

> > >     this is just plain WRONG nonsense
> > > --

> I agree with the external modems work in linux. I have a Best Data ext
> Modem that worked very well until recently. It still works in windows
> but I keep getting a  "Modem does not respond". I have tried to reset,
> unplug, reconfig, etc. To no avail. The modem is plugged into com1 i.e.
> ttyS0 and works in windows, but no response in 7.2. It does not show up
> in  harddrake either.  Any suggestions out there. Oh, I am on the Linux
> only box right now using a Best Data internal modem which also works
> very well and says Linux compatable on the box. Thanks for any help with
> this puzzle.

On the subject of external modems, beware USB modems.

Dennis,
I had a modem seem to stop working once in Mandrake. It was a single
boot machine so I didnt get  to try windows.
I finally traced it down to a single ` having turned into a '. or vice
versa, in my chat-script.
No idea how it happened but it fixed it right up.
I remember digging through log files till I got a clue but its been a
while and I dont remember much more than that.
If you figure it out, post what you did. Sounds like a real bear!

Gene