Jim,

it's very likely that apache never made onto your computer. an easy wayt
to test this is to open a browser window and type this url into the
loction box:    http://127.0.0.1        then hit enter. If a page displays and
tells you a bunch of stuff about Apache web server and some other tings,
then your apache web server is running. If you get an error message
telling you that it couldn't connect, or that the server is down, then its
very likely that apache is eiter not being started as the system is
started, or its not installed at all.

to check to see if its being started at bootup check the startup services
in drakeconf. a menu item name httpd should be checked. if it is there but
not selected, select it and then restart your machine. If httpd is not
there then you need to install the apache rpms that are on the
installation CD's that you used to install Mandrake with.

--
Mark

/ * Sometimes it becomes necessary to rock the boat
  * in order to get the rats up from below decks
  * so they can be kicked over the side and drowned!
  *
  *     REGISTERED LINUX USER # 182496
  */

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 Jim Anderson had this to say!