From: Eddie Torres [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 12:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Virus on Linux?

On Tuesday 28 November 2000 11:22, you wrote:
> I realise that there are more secure firewalls available but Guarddog
> is so easy to set up for a newbie,with it's point and click panels
> it's straightforward to select/de-select options and go back in to
> change if you get it wrong, and requires little (if any)
> understanding of ipchains.
>
> BTW thanks for the heads-up re: the better check than ShieldsUp -
> I've been there and it finds things that ShieldsUp couldn't
> like port 23 is open  and allows telnet
>       port 80 is open and allows http
>       port 8080 is open for http-proxy
> none of which I understand because as far as I knew none of these
> sevices were enabled - guess I've got some digging to do !
>
> Poogle
>
> On Monday 27 November 2000 22:34, you wrote:
> > On Monday 27 November 2000 12:53 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > For a newbie, I like Guarddog firewall, free and downloadable
> > > it's available for MD 7.0. 7.1 & 7.2
> > > http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/
> >
> >  It doesn't close/filter ports as well as PMfirewall does.
> > Looks nice, but it's less effective ipchains config.
> >
> > http://www.pointman.org/PMFirewall/
> >
> >   and here's a better check than ShieldsUp!
> >
> > http://www.sdesign.com/cgi-bin/fwtest.cgi?APPLY=Scan+Me+Now

Here is what I did.  I found a website, I don't recall if Tom was the
one that recommended it, that builds a firewall script for you and it's
simple to setup and very detailed.  I took what I made there and
incorporated it into my pmfirewall.  I did the sdesign.com tests and I
show no ports open at all and I have all the functionality i need to
have, even on irc.   I'll try to dig out the site url and post it.

P.S.  BTW Tom, I'm in Pasadena.
--
Eddie Torress
www.veloct.net