Sounds like your drive may be faulty. Any recent drive should be able to read
this CD with no trouble. Some DVD drives have problems when accessing
CD-ROMs, this is another possibility for your drive. You could try using some
sort of bootdisc (I believe the Mandrake site has instructions to do this),
and then try to install Linux.

Is it possible to get your hands on another Mandrake CD to test on your
system? There could be some slight imperfections on the disc that your DVD
drive may not like but CD readers can cope with. If you have a CD burner, you
can download Mandrake ISOs from sites like ftp://ftp.aarnet.edu.au and then
burn them to CD, although this may take a while, particularly if you don't
have something like cable or DSL Internet (by your e-mail address, I assume
you have ordinary Optus dial-up access).