> On Tuesday 26 December 2000 08:59 am, Jim Dawson wrote:
> > Has anyone bought a 7.2 CD from CheapBytes lately? If so
are
> > they pressing the CDs yet or are they still using CD-R
> > disks?
>
>     I quit using Cheapbytes and started using lsl.com.
They're a
> little cheaper, usually have new upgrades available sooner
and ship
> quicker, and most of all, better quality CD's.  FWIW, I've
always found
> CDr's to be better than mass produced production CD's.
lsl.com has
> always sent me high quality CDr's.  'Course my CDrom (BCD)
and CD-RW
> (Plextor) are high quality and known to work very well
with most all
> media.  YMMV

Thanks, I'll check out LSL when 7.3 is released.

>    Ram disk errors on boot from CD are, IMO, most often
caused by
> marginal CD drives, marginal CD media, and/or marginal
ram, in that
> order.  There's many other possible reasons, but most
involve marginal
> and/or misconfigured (bios) hardware.

Although the RAMDISK errors can be caused by hardware
problems, One of the UNIX guys where I work and I tried the
CD I got from CheapBytes on several systems ranging from my
three home systems ('Franenstein' boxes made mostly from the
parts of other computers) and several systems at work
ranging from (2 year) old Dell Optiplex desktops to new
Compaq servers. All of the computers exhibited the same
ramdisk error.