On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, jiten wrote:

>what is the the solution?
>say i want to have 3 partitions for win and /, /home, /swap, /var for
>linux. how should i do it for 20 gb hd. i mean some partition has to go to
>dos fat32 extended as we can have only 4 primary partitions of which one
>has to be extended if we want totel of 7 partitions.
>is there anything like linux extended??
>-jiten

How much of the 20Gb do you want to sacrifice to Windoze? Do you play many
games on that, or something other that uses a lot of space?

Decide on that, and use fips/partitionmagic/completely clean install
with windows-fdisk to reserve that space.

Then install Mandrake, with /(root), swap and /home as separate
partitions. I'd personally also put /usr on a separate partition. Afaik,
Linux does not have this thing with primary and extended partitions that
the microsoft based systems do.

If you do not do a lot of windoze, my suggestion:

windoze: 5 Gb

/(root)  4Gb
/home    7Gb
swap     2 x size of your RAM
/usr     3Gb

In case you do not want a separate /usr, move that space to /, Mandrake
will set up a /usr dir in there then.

Much windoze:

Windoze: 10 Gb

/(root)  3Gb
/home    4Gb
swap     2 x size of RAM
/usr     3Gb

But that's my idea. Good luck in deciding. In the end the choice is yours.

Paul

--
At a certain time there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
And it isn't a train.

http://nlpagan.net - ICQ 147208 - Registered Linux User 174403
             Linux Mandrake 7.2 - Pine 4.31