On Sunday 31 December 2000 01:09 pm, Jody wrote:
> > This is assuming you leave your computer running
> >overnight so that cron updates you files.  If you don't you might
> >need to run (as root) 'locate -u' or 'updatedb' (your choice,
> >they both do the same thing).
>

> It appears you imply that it might take hours as well.
> Linux cam back with both PERL and Wine lickity-split.

    No, I only meant that if you're in the habit of shutting your
system off, some cron jobs might not keep up.  Usual installs have cron
jobs set up to run hourly, daily, monthly ....  look at the /etc/cron.'s
EG, /etc/cron.daily/slocate   or   /etc/cron.monthly/0anacron
   Also, 'locate' and 'whereis' won't find something you just installed.
You need to update the slocate database using 'locate -u' or 'updatedb',
then they will. ..... and like you say, instantly. Much quicker than
'find' will.
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay