On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Tom Brinkman wrote:

Hi Tom,

>     No, Bascule's not asking about core dumps, but about the core
>device, which definitely shouldn't be deleted.  A plain english

Ah, oops. My error because of speed. Sorry, I hope Bascule did not follow
my advice!!

>     Core dumps can be deleted, but they wouldn't be in either /dev or
>/proc.  This line placed at the end of /etc/bashrc, 'ulimit -c 0' will
>prevent core dumps from even being written.

I noticed that in clean new installs of 7.1 and 7.2 (at least those I
know), an entry is made in /etc/profile that core dumps will be prevented
as you wrote when the user is not root:

  # Users generally won't see annoyng core files
  [ "$UID" = "0" ] && ulimit -c 1000000

Greetings,
Paul

--
The problem with being unemployed:
The moment you wake up, you're on the job.

http://nlpagan.net - ICQ 147208 - Registered Linux User 174403
             Linux Mandrake 7.2 - Pine 4.31