hi Tom, thanks for the reply.

to mix our conversation --

>Well, I was gonna say you need to restart the X server, .... was
>that a normal power (shut down) down or did you just kill power and
>then need to fsck?   That might've corrupted the system.  I really

the first 2 times i restarted i had to power down.  the first time i tried XF86config
which locked me up.  kill power (ouch) and fsck, tried "XFree86 -configure", locked
up, kill power (ouch) and fsck, then used XF86cfg.  that seemed to work.  edited the
inittab (or whatever the right name is, that may not be right) with vi to go back to
runlevel 5 and restarted.

>don't know what could be your problem (I'll spare you my opinion about
>anything SiS).

i will spare you my opinion about SiS.  =)  this is a family list.

>Try 'rpm --rebuilddb', then you might try 'rpm -Uvh
>--allfiles *' on the XF rpms if that doesn't work.  I believe that
>replaces the rpm files whether they need it or not.  Then 'X -version'
>should say "XFree86 Version 4.0.2 / X Window System ..... i686"

i will try this out.  sounds like a logical step.  thank you.

>You do
>have a i686 proccessor, right ?  Those were 686 rpms.   What does
>'rpm -qa | grep XFree' say?

as far as i know it is an i686.  but i will triple check to make sure.
thanks very much for you help.
if all else fails i may go back to X3.x as that seemed to work find on my system.
i just want to play Penguin Command.....   =)

--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay

Adrian Smith
'de telepone dude
Telecom Dept.
x 7042