Yea, that's some kind of bug in Helix-Gnome. The same thing happened to me
too. To "fix" it, create the file ~/.Xclients-default if it's not already in
your home directory, and then put "exec gnome-session" in that file. Then
when you log in, select "Default" from the list of window managers, and it
should bring up Gnome.

--
Anthony
http://binaryfusion.net