>I would like to shift to Netscape 6 instead of 4.7x because of its
>ability to manage multiple e-mail accounts for a single Linux user
>(under 4.7x I had to keep a separate user account for each e-mail
>account). My problem is that the scripts which come with RealPlayer8 for
>mime and plugin support only work with 4.7x and not 6. Has anyone
>already gone through the process of getting the mime types to work
>properly with Netscape 6? Are there simple edits that could be made to
>the scripts which will make them work with Netscape 6? There are dozens
>of mime types that mention realplayer in the 4.7x configuration and I
>would really like to avoid adding them one by one under 6. Also six
>seems to have some problems with editing or delete mime-types where you
>made a mistake. Does anyone know the name and location of the file that
>holds this information so that I can manually delete an error that I
>can't seem to remove any other way. Thanks. Any help would be
>appreciated.
>
>--
>Traci Collins
>http://www.rof.net/wp/tcollins/traci.html

Traci,

I found a webpage on linuxnewbie.org that had just what you and I were looking for! It
was written by Avatar but I've did some modifications for our period of instruction.
They were written for Netscape 4.7x but I found them compatible with Netscape 6 (ie
v.6 or v.7)

RealPlayer basically is running the show using these MIME types;

1. Open up Netscape and click on "Edit" and then "Preferences."

2. On the new screen that appears, click the little arrow next to "Navigator" and then
"Helper Applications."
On the right, you should see a list of all the mime types already in the system. This
is where we will be adding in the info to configure the G2 player.

3. Click the "New type..." button to bring up a new mime tpye.

4. Enter the follwing settings,
***REMOVE THE CHECK IN THE CHECK BOX***
then click the "OK" button to save them.

Description of type: RealMedia File
File extension: .rm
MIMEType: application/vnd.rn-realmedia
Application to use: /usr/bin/realplay %s

The description doesn't matter, but the rest does. Make sure to click the box nextto
"Application" to enable G2, and don't forget the "%s" part or it will just open G2 and
not stream. If G2 installed somewhere other than /usr/bin/realplay, replace that part
with your path. Another thing to watch is that you put the "." in front of the suffix.

5. Add all of the following using the steps 3 & 4.

Description of type: RealVideo File
File extension: .rv
MIMEType: video/vnd.rn-realvideo
Application to use: /usr/bin/realplay %s

Description of type: RealAudio File
File extension: .ra, .ram
MIMEType: audio/vnd.rn-realaudio
Application to use: /usr/bin/realplay %s

Description of type: RealAudio File 2
File extension: .ra, .ram
MIMEType: audio/x-pn-realaudio
Application: /usr/bin/realplay %s

*Special Note*

I couldn't get Netscape 6 to recognize both RealAudio files but I have had no
problems... yet! :)

***REMOVE THE CHECKS IN THE CHECK BOXES***

Now, your G2 player should work great with Navigator 6. But say you hop over to
live365.com and you want to listen for awhile. Well, live365.com sends you a mp3 play
list, not a standard stream. This is nice if you're sitting behind a firewall and your
administrator has blocked streamed data. To get this up and running on you Linux box,
add this last part into Netscape, again using steps 3 & 4.

Description of type: Live365
File extension: .pls
MIMEType: audio/x-scpls
Application to use: /usr/bin/realplay %s

So, now maybe you want to hop over to MP3.com and have a lsiten over there.
No problem. look down the list for "MPEG Audio." Once you find it, click on it, then
click on edit. Change the follwing:

Description of type:MPEG Audio
File extension:
MIMEType: audio/mpeg
Application to use: /usr/bin/realplay %s

***REMOVE THE CHECK IN THE CHECK BOX***

(Click OK)

We have to add another one now. Follow step 3 & 4 to add this one in.

Description of type: MPEG Audio 2
File extension: .m3u
MIMEType: audio/x-mpegurl
Application to use: /usr/bin/realplay %s

***REMOVE THE CHECK IN THE CHECK BOX***

(Click OK)

That should do it. Now the G2 player will handle all that media from the web with
little or no hickups. Enjoy!

Cheers Everyone
-- Al
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/