From: "abe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2001 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mandrakesoft CEO defends Linux

> I thought he was full of it too.  When I first started using mandrake
> (5.2 I think?) I got a working linux system in a 500 M partition with
> enough room in ~/abe to keep me happy.
>
> Now, if you just say yes to everything then you are going to get one
> hell of an install!  But my favorite passtime with my linux box for the
> first few months was to sit down and try all those programs.  Fire em up
> and see what happens.  It was great fun and a good way to get
> comfortable with the new environment too.
>
> Give me emacs and vim and joe and pico and so on and so forth over
> notepad and wordpad anyday.  Xmms, grip, freeamp, kmp3, and so on over
> windows media player.  I think you all get the point ;-)
>
> That article is just more FUD.
>

> Abe
>

> Adrian Smith wrote:
> >
> > quote from the artical:
> > The week before Christmas, CNET News.com editor Todd Volz blasted most
of the major commercial distributions, including Mandrakesoft, for shipping
bloated product. While most of the bloat comes in the area of
developer-oriented features, i.e. mulitple compilers, screen setting
controls etc., Voltz viewed the business community's reluctance to slim
things down for the regular user a distressing sign.