sure and with no development tools you will never be able to recompile
the kernel or an app that you use all the time.  Most new programs that
you download won't install because they need libraries to work.

Development tools are required to have a whole linux operating system.

Tke away the development tools and linux may as well BE wandows or
crapintosh.

For the record here I am not a programmer.  The only "language" I know
is english, html and potty mouth ;-)  I'm just a computer user who like
to have as much control over my system as I can and I am willing to
learn what it takes to do that.

Huh, pretty much sums up my overall epistemology about life now that I
think about it.

Abe