>>                                            ... If this is a binary file,
>>already compiled and linked, to execute type from the directory where it's
>>located:
>>
>>./your_bin_file
>>
>>and type ENTER (RETURN), if you don use ./ the system try to find your the
>>name you type as a binary file in $PATH. ...

For anyone doing any kind of binary executable or script development this is
indeed a good reason for adding "." to your $PATH variable.  In most
environments
where I've worked with Unix, "." was usually the first directory in $PATH so
that
you could have your own utility or program supercede one that came with the
system.
If you don't want the latter to happen then put the "." on the end of $PATH.

Cheers,
Rick