On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Dave wrote:

>I just put a new monitor on my system and now the grapical part of linux
>won't come up. Question is: how do I change the settings from the command
>line. I have tried Xconfigurator and XFdrake , but both take me to selecting
>a video card only.

You can edit the  XF86config (or XF86Config-4) file in /etc/X11 through
vi, vi, vim, vi, pico, joe or emacs, and set your default resolution to
640x480 in the screen section. Select the subscreensection with the proper
pixels you intend to use and remove all the other resolution options
(better: copy the line, comment it out and modify the original line, for
easier backout).

Paul

--
Problems that are worth taking on