On Thursday 18 January 2001 10:27 am, s wrote:
> I don't know why, but Linux sees my 733 processor as a 735 and my 256
> mb ram as 255.  So I would say:  255.
> -s

      The clock generator chip on any motherboard is never exact.
That's a 133.33mhz bus cpu and the motherboards givin it 133.63mhz.  So
5.5 (the multiplier for that cpu) times 133.63 = 735mhz.

      Something in the system, prob'ly the motherboard is grabin some
ram to use, so you only have 255 left. Actually with any motherboard
that's faulty enough to require an append= fix, 1mb should always be
subtracted. Any board with integrated video, sound, modem, etc. also
uses the system ram and forcing linux to see all the ram, eg
append=256M, will sooner or later cause the system to crash.  Say the
vendor said the computer has 8mb onboard video (a lie). In that case
you could only safely use append=247M  If the board also has integrated
sound, then append=245m, or safer yet =243M.  It's just another of the
many reasons why onboard crap should be avoided, any OS.
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay