When pinging from one windows machine to another the lights on the hub do
blink.

Also, I am not using the uplink port on the hub for the linux machine it is
being left open for possible future expansion if we can get this problem
figured out.

And yes, i have tried a port on the hub that i know is working under
windows. In fact i tried every port on the hub with no success. I even went
and unplugged the cable from one of the windows machines immediately after i
used it to ping to ensure that the network was working and then plugged it
into the linux machine and still got nothing.

I also tried networking only two of the machins together with a cross-patch
cable and linux still cannot ping out to the windows system and windows
still cant reach the linux box.

I also did a bit of further experimentation and reformatted the harddrive on
the linux machine, setup two partitions, one for swap with 100meg and the
rest in root and went through and reconfigured everything from scratch.
Still getting the same problem. BTW, i did a development/expert installation
and setup lan network during the installation and PPP for the isp after the
instal. Network card and all were identified fine and setup went smoothly.

Could this be something on the windows machines that is preventing them from
seeing and communicating with the linux box? Dunno how this could be though
since they are both running win98se and a tcp/ip network which works fine
from windows machine to windows machine.

I appreciate all the assistance by the way folks, its nice to know that
there are people out there who are willing to help when these problems crop
up.

Still banging my head,
Ian K. Harrell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]