Dan LaBine wrote:

> Dave! If you install Linux on C:\ and Windows 98 is on it, you'll lose
> Windows98 ! If Linux re-writes your MBR (Master Boot record), there's an
> excellent chance you'll lose the partition info for all the other partitions.
> I think you need to exercise caution here. Are you trying to wipe out Windows
> in the process?? make sure you back up everything on ALL partitions!
>
> dan laBine
>
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, you wrote:
> > I have a single drive partitioned into 4 with my current OS (Win98se)
> > residing in C:\.  Among the options in the install is one to take over part
> > of C:\ for Linux.  If I do this, what will happen to the assigned drive
> > letters of D:\, E:\ and F:\, CD-ROM and CD-RW; will it reassign them with
> > new drive letters?

I have installed L-M 7.2 on at least 5 dual boot computers, and have
never, ever lost anything from the WIN98 partition. Defrag it first then
go ahead with a custom install of linux. When you get to the
reapportioning segment of the installation program you need to

1) Click on the "C:\" partition and resize it to something larger than
it contains (be liberal, WIN98 requires 10+% of the drivespace free for
its ungainly swap function).

2) create new partitions out of the free space, At least 2; / and swap.
( I think /boot, /, /home, & swap is better and adding a big /usr is
even better.)

3) format the new partitions in the next step (check for bad sectors)

4) proceed on with install

The other drive letters will not be altered. Windows assigns them at
boot up anyway, and since it is too ignorant to recognize ext2 file
system it wont even know they are there. Windows will only report on win
file systems the other partitions are invisible to it.
--
Jim