Yes, I like it your way.  The main idea was to make it easy to get a GOOD
install from the get go with the capabilities needed.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Sridhar Dhanapalan
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 4:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; civileme
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mandrakesoft CEO defends Linux

This has just given me an idea. Instead of just having some preset
installation configurations like "Workstation", "Development and "Server",
we
could have get of checkboxes, with each option representing a function (i.e.
not a programme). That way, we can mix and match functions (i.e. be able to
select multiple checkboxes). For example, someone could choose to have their
machine set up as both a server and a general-purpose home machine, and then
Drakx would install the preset programmes for both. Of course, the user must
have the option of being able to fine-tune the programmes to be installed.
We
could even have subgroups, where the user can choose to install certain
functions of a main group. For example, a user could choose the Workstation
install, but not install multimedia players (e.g. MP3 and video players
along
with their associated libraries). This could be useful for office
environments that need small and clean installations on each machine (it
also
can be used by employers to stop workers from watching movies or playing
games during office hours :-) ).