John,

         The 3c509B card can run in three modes EISA, PNP, and
ISA.  Mandrake can
         only use this card in ISA mode.  Here is what you need to do to
get the
         card working.  Go to ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/NIC/3c509/ and down
         load  3c509x2.exe to a DOS/WIN system in to an empty folder of you
choice.
         This is a self extracting archive file.  In a DOS window or at the
DOS
         prompt execute the file and it will expand into a bunch of
files.  Most of
         which you do not need.  Now create a DOS boot floppy and copy
3c5x9cfg.exe
         to the floppy.

         Boot the Linux box with the floppy and run 3c5x9cfg.exe. Turn off
the PNP
         mode and set the card to an available IRQ and I/O address.  Good
choices
         are 10, 11 for IRQ and 300, 30F for I/O.  Shut down the system and
remove
         the floppy.

         Now boot Linux and it should see the card and load the correct
         drivers.  Write to the list again if Linux does not detect the
card and
         someone will tell you how to load the drivers that are on the
distribution.

Jerry