> > I had made a boot floppy this time (last time Mandrake just
> > shot past the option without even letting me make one) but
> > it would appear to be corrupt... (shouldn't Mandrake at
> > least check :-(

> Martin....your descriptions of the assorted problems are
> somewhat incomplete, but it sounds as if you have some
> hardware issues with that system and mdk 7.2.  So one
> solution would be to restore the box to the way it was when
> it was working.

That's a bit difficult. It worked with Mandrake 6.1, but I formatted that
off to install 7.2... whiocvh installed without making a boot floppy {???}.
it seemed to work, until I unplugged the machine... and missed the boot
floppy. The second time I persuaded it to make a boot floppy, but that
turned out to be corrupt {???}

As it is I am installing again for the third time and will have to check the
lilo details by hand... to make sure I won't be caught out again if the
power is or has to be turned off...

> To troubleshoot the system as it is, you need a rescue floppy
> like tomsrtbt.

I couldn't make the floppy under DOS ... so I shall have to try a new
installation again :-(

(Not that a newbie like me could troubleshoot anyway... :-(

RGds

Martin