> I've had problems when I tried ' fdisk /mbr ' to remove the boot menu
> and
> restore Windows as the default. A few times, I lost Windows and had to
> do
> a reinstall to get it back.  And, it seems to make floppy booting some
> of
> the Linux distros unreliable.

  Well, if the opportunity arises again... with a Windows boot disk in...
( the right one for the right "flavor" or windows, of course<g>...
Command.com is different  between Win98 and Win98 SE, and Me  as well.... )
after you do the  Fdisk /MBR  do a   "sys.com C:"  from the floppy, this
recopies the system files back onto the Windows partition, it also rewrites
the hooks in  MBR.  You'll have to copy sys.com from the  C:\windows\command\
folder onto the Floppy.    HTH...

  daniel in NJ...