Alex

   Lets take these in reverse order.

Once upon a time in order for Lilo to be able to boot your system the use of
a /boot partition residing on hda below the 1024 cylinder was necessary.
This has never been necessary with Grub nor is it necessary with the lastest
Lilo, though there are there are still some current distros which use the
old Lilo.
You can set-up any Linux distro with any number of partitions, and you may
at a later time wish to do so, but for a novice in linux wishing to try out
various distros I would suggest the following for a 30GB hd.

(1)128MB linux swap linix swap partition,
 this can be created as either a primary partition or as part of your
extended partion
(2)An extended partition comprising the remaining space on the drive
(3)Within the extended partition create 5 or 6 Ext2 partitions of roughly
the same size.
   These will be the / partition, 1 for each of the distros you wish to
try.(You need not use all the space on the drive but each should be at least
2GB)
I would use PM to do all your partitioning.
You can do it with the linux installation program but eventually through
usage they will cauce partition overlaps and other partition errors.

If Lilo is installed to a floppy it can be configured so that it will allow
you to boot to any OS aready installed, but the default on most distros
offers only the option for DOS (Windows) and for That Linux distro, with it
being the first boot option.
For all basic purposes all you will be doing is creating a boot disk, and it
offers the benifit that for what ever reasons some distro do not offer you
the option to create a boot disk during installation.

The only problem of which I am aware with fdisk/MBR is as it relates to
Win2000.
If you are running 2000 it can screw your systems so do not use it.

If you wish futher clarification or additionl info let me know.

   Charles  (-:

Forever never goes beyond tomorrow.