Ok...first, did you install a server, workstation, or developer install
when you installed Mandrake? Very likely the reason you can't connect to
your box on with either of these programs is because the servers for these
services are not installed on your system.

If you didn't specify the servers to be installed, i.e. telnet-server, the
7.2 installation program doesn't install them by default. Since you can't
connect to the FTP service either I'm willing to bet that you didn't do a
server install either.

Really all you have to do is install the FTP and the telnet-server
packages and you should be able to connect to your machine using these
services. However, you would be much better served to avoid using telnet
all together and instead use ssh. it's much more secure, and just as easy
to install and use.

--
Mark

"If you don't share your concepts and ideals, they end up being worthless,"
        "Sharing is what makes them powerful."