Hi all,

I am toying with the idea of using this,,

It is the new beta dist from RedHat, I am thinking of using their patched 2.4.1 kernel, and glibc 2.2.1  to upgrade my 7.2.

Has anyone tried this on a LM7.2 install?

This is the Redhat blurb on the new dist…

The FTP is

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/beta/fisher/en/OS/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

What's new in this beta?

General system improvements:

  • Itanium(tm) architecture support is included
  • Installer has many improvements and fixes, including basic firewall configuration
  • Workstation installs are network-secure (services are off by default)
  • Japanese support fully integrated
  • Graphical kickstart configuration program included

Core system components:

  • kernel 2.4.0 + many fixes
  • glibc 2.2.1
  • XFree86 4.0.2
  • XFree86 3.3.6 X servers included for maximum hardware compatibility
  • KDE 2.1 beta release snapshot
  • GNOME libs 1.2.8, core 1.2.4
  • GCC 2.96-RH

Expanded hardware support:

  • Improved USB
  • IDE UltraDMA 66/100
  • IEEE1394 (FireWire(tm))
  • ATM networking
  • WiFI wireless ethernet cards
  • ESS Maestro3 and newer Crystal audio

System service changes:

  • New network-transparent configuration subsystem
  • Configuration tools for BIND, Apache, and printing

A sampling of package upgrades:

  • GIMP 1.2.1
  • Tcl/Tk 8.3.2
  • BIND 9.1.0
  • Pine 4.32
  • Vim 6.0 prerelease
  • XMMS 1.2.4

A sampling of Package additions:

  • OGG/Vorbis audio encoder/decoder
  • Mozilla

Just thought I’d ask to save myself grief..

Many thanx

Frank,

Perth WA