-----Original Message-----
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of T.P. Smith
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 7:09 AM
To: Linux Mandrake Help
Subject: [newbie] Installation Problem

I recently purchased a new PC (Athlon 1GHz on ASUS A7V133, WD 30Gb ATA100
HDD) and wish to install LM7.2.  After booting with the CD inserted I
specify a language and keyboard, then the installation program searches for
a SCSI drive before displaying the message:

An error has occured. No valid devices were found on which to create new
filesystems.
Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem.

I have partitioned the HDD four ways using fdisk and am running WinMe on the
C drive.  I had mentally allocated E and F for Linux and the swap partition
respectively.  Is the fact that the HDD is running off the onboard ATA100
controller the reason it can't be located?  If so >is there a remedy? If not
etc. etc...

As you have found there is a problem with the installer and an onboard
Promise controller. Here is what will work on some systems,
At the installation splash screen press F1 and at the boot prompt (it will
be at the bottom of the screen) enter the following:
 lspci -vv | less
use the space bar to scroll down until you find your Promise controller.

You will see 5 heximal number strings showing the I/Os for the controller,
write down the first 4 sets (call them a,b,c,and d). Reboot your system.

At the installation splash screen press F1 and at the boot prompt enter:
linux ide2=0x8400, 0x8002 ide3=0x7800, 0x74002
These are from my system you will need to enter yours.
The formula to use is ide2=a, (b+2) ide3=c (d+2).

If there are no other problems the installation should then run.

As I said this will work on most systems but not all, mine because of the
hardware config.
is one on which it did not work.
Should the same be for yours do not dismay Mandrake 8.0 will install on your
system.

   Charles  (-:

Forever never goes beyond tomorrow.