Well thanks for them help, but I think I'm stuck at a more basic, software
level right now.  Ever since I plugged in the YMF724 card, my sndconfig no
longer works.  I get: Device or resource busy,  insmode, failed, insmod
sound-slot-0.

Maybe it would help if I mentioned, when I type "modprobe \*"   I get "Note:
/etc/modules.conf is more recent then /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/modules.dep"
and xd.o failed stuff.  I just don't understand why my PCI YMF 724 doesn't
work if it's detected.  I have the artsd Sound stuff set in control penel, I
have the volume set.  I can get all my soundcards working in NT so I know
it's not hardware or IRQ conflict, they seem to install in Linux, but then no
sound.   There's this thing called the "Sound How-to"  but that just tells U
to recompile the kernel and doesn't seem to contain anything usefull.. on the
conceptualization level.  Like, "you can enable sound with a module or
compiling. *you know if you need to compile because...* If sound driver is
loaded you see it in this location.  You can test sound at the command prompt
with "copy .wav > /dev/snd"  etc...

Thank you to all who can point me towards that golden ideal called
understanding.