On Monday 26 February 2001 00:39, you wrote:
>      It seems likely that somebody out there knows the answer to my
> question.  Perhaps he or she thinks that "All he has to do is insert his
> Mandrake CD, and in KDE click on the RpmDrake icon, and then use the
> special SearchMandrakeCD function, and then pick out the package
> Xfree.this.or.that.some.number and another package called
> Devel.Graph.Lib.Some.Other.Number and start the
> "InstallWhatchamacallitGizmo" and that's it," or that "All he has to do is
> to go to ftp://ftp.linux-mandrake.com/sub/lib/dev/rpm/pack/thisorthat/dir
> and then click on down through the subdirectories, until he comes to the
> right one, in which the package Xfree.this.or.that.some.number and another
> package called Devel.Graph.Lib.Some.Other.Number are, and then download
> them to his hard drive."
>
>      It seems unlikey that he or she will tell me about it however.  I
> don't know why.  Perhaps the answer is considered so simple that I have to
> be an idiot not to know the answer?  Perhaps on the other hand the problem
> is too difficult?  I don't believe that though.  I think most of you
> experienced Linux users could probably solve this in no time, so here it
> goes, one more time:
>
>      I have downloaded a tarball with the latest version of AfterStep.  In
> order to compile it I need first to install two packages which were not
> installed in Mandrake, even though I chose "everything" when I installed
> Mandrake.  Finding and installing these two packages is probably
> ridiculously easy once you know how it's done, but unfortunately I don't
> know how it's done.  Perhaps they are on the Mandrake CD.  Perhaps there is
> some kind of tool in KDE to find out.  I don't know.  Perhaps they are at
> the Mandrake FTP site.  Perhaps there is even some page on the site which
> contains full instructions concerning what I need and where to find it.  I
> don't know.  I have tried these things though.  I have tried searching the
> Mandrake CD.  I have tried using the "RpmDrake" tool.  I have tried
> searching at the Mandrake site as well, and I have tried searching at
> www.rpmfind.net.  Nothing has produced any results, and it seems that I
> have to conclude that it is not possible to install AfterStep on Linux
> Mandrake -- not possible for me that is.  Probably somebody else could.
>
>      The first package I am looking for is:
> XFree86-devel-4.0.1-28mdk.i586.rpm   According to www.rpmfind.net this
> package doesn't exist.  If it does exist however, I don't know where, and I
> don't know how to find it.
>
>      The other package I don't even know the name for.  It was described to
> me like this: "and I don't know how the other one called, but it should be
> for headers for development with graphics libraries"  Apparently he
> considered this sufficient information that somebody who knows more than I
> do would be able to identify this package.  I can't even begin to guess
> what this package might be called, even less where to find it.  That is
> [...]
http://niteowl.userfriendly.net/linux/RPM/AfterStep.html     This URL implies
that the complete AfterStep  window manager will install on the file to be
downloaded here. ???  Like you I have looked at all the various sites and
find no devel file  for xfree86.  Something just isn't right about this. So I
looked in my rpmdrake and lo and behold afterstep is installed on my system.
This then begs the question>> is your install from the internet download or
the two disk commercial set. If it is, I suspect the afterstep files are part
of the commercial PowerPack Deluxe 7 disk set.  I don't know of any other
explanation and can't find the files you need to download.  Sorry I'm no help.
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842