HEEELLLLPPP!!!!!!

I am trying in vain to print from SO5.2, and feel I am slowly going mad.

I have installe the printer when I installed Mandrake 7.2; the test-page
prints, and I print wothout problem from KWord or KSpread.
The printer as installed is listed in /etc/cups/printers.conf

If I open http://localhost:631/ and go to the Manage Printer page, it tells
me there are no printers installed.
If I install one, it is listed in /etc/cups/printers.conf, but at the end of
the configuration I still have no printer installed as far as the Manage
Printers page is concerned.

If I open Kups from the console, the status bar of Kups keeps telling me
Cannot connect to CUPS server; check your options.
If I add one, it is listed in /etc/cups/printers.conf, but at the end of the
configuration I still have no printer installed as far as Kups is
concerned.In the course of the installation, Kups repeatedly tells me I have
no printer connected to // port #1

qtcups does not see any of the printers listed in /etc/cups/printers.conf

xpp gives me short shrift, with the terse warning "No printer found, aborting"

Only the Printer Configuration in DraxConf "sees" the installed printers, all
the other config progs fail to see them.

I have checked in the DraxConf startup services, and both cups and lpr are
checked.

Any ideas ?

TIA,

Desperate, on the shores of the Paraguay River.
--
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable
                  that we have to alter it every six months.