Robert,

Fetchmail is also already loaded on your system. The first thing you
want to do is to run Pine for the first time. This will get the dir in
/var/spool/mail ready to accept messages for you. It will also give Pine
a chance to get setup for running.

The next thing you will want to do is make sure all the settings in Pine
are as you want them to me. As I mentioned to you in the previous
message the preference in Pine where it wants to know the name of the
smtp-server you can leave that blank and Pine will by default use the
systems SMTP whether you have Postfix or Sendmail running. If you
already have the host name configured then you can enter that in there.

        Ex: machinename.host.com

In my case, and I'm using Sendmail/fetchmail/procmail to do the mail
sending and receiving my SMTP-SERVER is mdw1982.dyndns.org

        machine name = mdw1982
        domain       = dyndns.org

Otherwise just leave it blank and everything will work just fine.

To use Fetchmail to bring the mail down from your ISP you can do one of
a few ways. The simplest way to do this is to issue the command in a
terminal window like this;

        fetchmail mail.charter.net  <ENTER>

When it asks you for a password you type in the password you
authenticate yourself to your ISP with when you log into the mail server
to collect your email.

If your Linux system username differs from the one that is your user
name with your ISP, which in this case is "wormie", then your sendmail
command would look something like this;

        fetchmail -u wormie mail.charter.net

If this is the case then you're going to have to set up an alias on your
system so that when ever fetchmail gets the mail from your ISP for
"wormie" it will no "who's" /var/spool/mail/$USER dir to deposit the
mail into. If you find that you do have to setup an alias let me know
and we can go over that at the time.

Once you're sure that everything is working correctly you can setup
fetchmail to collect the mail on a more permanent basis using
fetchmailconf. That will help you configure a .fetchmailrc file that
everytime you connect to the internet it will automatically connect to
your ISP's mailserver and download the mail for you.

You can run fetchmail as a daemon in the background by typing

        fetchmail -d 150 -u wormie mail.charter.net

This will check the mail server every 3 minutes for new messages. And
you can force a check by issuing the command on the command line by
typing

        fetchmail  <ENTER>

After the mail is brought down there remains only one thing and that's
to read it.

enjoy,

Mark