John Turnbull wrote:
snip
> Gerry:
>
> Thank you. I would not have discovered that by myself, in a hurry. .  .
> It had a dependency problem. It requires libbinutils2-devel. I cannot
> find this animal in the SRPMS subdirectory or in cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/
> but I did find a binutils-2.10.0.24-4mdk that I thought might contain a
> libbinutils, but that was not to be. sigh.
>
> Where might I get libbinutils2-devel?  John T

Sorry people. I must be going blind, libbinutils2-devel is in
cooker/Mandrake/RPMS. I now have it installed and have unpacked the
kernel 2.2.18 sources.  They wound up in /usr/src/RPM/BUILD/linux, but
the structure looks much like a normal kernel source directory. Now I
can do dome real damage (clearly I am on the edge of my competence
level.  John T