Mr. Pena,
        Well here goes, I'll try to keep brief but write this like I wish someone
had been able to do for me. First sign in as root to KDE as this is the easy
(most similar to Microsoft interface) then after your in click on the K to
bring up the menu then go to Configuration, then to KDE, then to
Information, from there go to PCI. Here you will be able to get the
information required about your modem , scroll down and look for
communication device or some similar wording immediately following that you
will find the information you will need for continuing on look for the irq
(in my case it was irq 11) as well as the address code (should look like
this)
0xdc00
0xdc01
0xdc02
or something similar in my case it was (0xdc00)
write both these down also look for uart 16550A as you will need that as
well.
Once you have this information written down close the window i.e. click the
x in the upper corner then , look on your desktop for an icon that says Home
and open it, look on the tree and click on root then look on the tree again
and open the one labeled etc, after that scroll down and look for a folder
labeled rcd.local left click it to open it . Then look for a file labeled
rc.local right click on it to open a menu look for open with and then
advanced editor. Right click advanced editor you now will see a bunch of
commands scroll down to the bottom and add the following command as the last
line in that window:

setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A port 0xdc00 irq 11

 making sure that it is with all the spaces and case sensitive commands
substitute your port address with the one you wrote down as well as your irq
setting as the ones I put in there for the example are the ones for mine.
Next click file and save it then exit and reboot . then when you log in the
next time and give it a try it should work . This is how I set mine and
every time I log in it works I also found this works with a actiontec pci
fax/modem which according to the documentation isn't supposed to but worked
for me. Let me know how it works for you. As always good luck and hang in
there .

Hank Wangle