From: Meph Istopheles [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 9:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] read/write to and from NTFS/FAT

  Jeff,

> Hell, Can some one advise me on the best way to allow Mandrake
> 7.2 to read and write to my FAT & NTFS partitions?

  Well, it could be a little tricky depending upon a few things.
First, You say you'd installed NTFS, you may have to recompile
your kernel & choose the r/w module.  (Though this module is
still in alpha -- has been at least since RedHat 6.0, I've used
it in RedHat 6.0 ~&~ lm7.2 without fail...but the potential of
data loss still exists.)  When I'd installed lm7.2 on the box
with W2k, the module wasn't automatically installed, & I had to
recompile.  If you're not familiar with compiling the kernel,
it's not difficult, but we can address that later.

  As for the fat partiton, you should simply be able to switch
vfat for fat in your /etc/fstab entry for that partition.

  I may not be expert at setting up dual- (or more) boot systems,
but I've done it numerous times without trouble.  If we have to
go the full route, with all the instructions for setting it up to
work (I don't know how much you know about this stuff), my
instructions may differ from those of others, but they work just
as well.

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux