On Friday 30 March 2001 15:24, you wrote:
> On Friday 30 March 2001 08:43, you wrote:
> > Hi.
> > Is it possible to upgrade from RedHat 7.0 to Mandrake 7.2 without loosing
> > too much information?
> > What kind of info do I risk to loose?
> > We've got qmail with vmail and courier on that machine right now and we
> > don't look forward to loosing all the mail and accounts or the
> > configurations.
> >
> > I'd be grateful for any help or comments onthis.
> >
> > /Patrik
>
> I think RedHat 7.0 and Mandrake 7.2 are essentially similar in terms of
> kernel, etc.  Why would you even take the chance of upgrading from a distro
> to a distro, besides I am sure that it cannot be done.  Remember the old
> adage, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Ummm you could upgrade from RH 7.0 to Mandrake 8.0 reasonably easily but an
upgrade to 7.2 is not possible--there are binary incompatibilities from
differing libraries, incompatible binary rpm packages, and rpm versions, and
even different compilers!  We chose to stay with glibc2.1 and rpm3 one
generation of software longer than RH, because we felt the compiler was not
yet stable enough for general use, and the package of compiler, lib, and rpm
version were not easily separable.

Civileme