I saw both inetd and xinetd running, should I stop one of them?

I am trying to use wu-ftpd and yes, when I kill both xinetd and inetd
I get connection refused, but when I turn it back on I still get

[ntr@kittypuss ntr]$ ftp kittypuss.org
Connected to kittypuss.org.
500 kittypuss.org FTP server shut down -- please try again later.
ftp>

then I bang the keyboard in frustration.

On Sunday 08 April 2001 07:40 pm,  so spoke CB: