On Saturday 14 April 2001 18:28, you wrote:
> I tried ./scriptname and bash reports "No such file or
> directory".  I can ls and it shows scriptname* which should
> indicate that it is executable and in the current directory.

Careful here. Scripts can be confused in the sense that it'll report
'no such file' when in reality it's not looking at your script (which
is there) but at the interpreter in the first line, and complaining
about that.

bash should (and usually is) invoked as '#! /bin/sh' so I'd try that
first. Even so, there should be a symlink in /bin that points 'bash' to 'sh'
(or vice versa) so that '#! /bin/sh' or '#! /bin/bash' should produce
equivalent behavior.

> cdrom.  Many of the commands fail (e.g. echo -n "Where do
> you work").

Funny, it prints that text even though I'm not working right now :(.

'echo' is a built in for bash, but there is also a command 'echo'. According
to the echo manpage, -n just doesn't give a trailing new line.