From: Walter Luffman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 11:47 PM
To: Nima S. Panahi; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Requesting hardware advice for AMD based machine.
jrt

On Thursday 26 April 2001 08:57 pm, Nima S. Panahi wrote:
> I guess I am just sick of VIA and maybe they are not quite a death trap.
> However, they always have problems. For example, my Geforce2 works crappy
> with the chipset (blurry at any good resolution/refresh rate on a 19
> inch). The problem is well known and nvidia and via blame each other and
> will never get fixed. Also, there is the corruption problem with the IDE
> that causes corruption. They *think* they can fix it by a bios update but
> still have not provided a fix (at least not for my ASUS A7V133.) There are
> other wierd things too, such as the fact that an SB Live card in the
> system systems to make things worst for the file system corruption.
> I believe the only other chipset option is only really one by AMD. I love
> AMD CPU's , but the pickings are small for chipsets!  I am just saying I
> will not buy VIA again, as I have had enough with them.
> For video card, if you don't care about 3D, matrox rocks!
> For sound, SB Live is the best too.
> CPU: Well, I love AMD, as they work best for me and are cheaper than
> Intel. However, you must take into account the chipset thing.

Okay, you've had bad experiences with VIA chipsets, that much is understood.

But that does not mean *every* motherboard with a VIA chipset is going to
give problems.  My primary machine has a Tyan S1854 mobo with a VIA chipset
(the "Apollo" set, IIRC), and I've also used mobos with other VIA chipsets
in
the past.  I can't recall ever having a problem due to either the
motherboard
or its chipset.

This proves only that your particular motherboard, with its particular
chipset, gives trouble when running your particular hardware configuration
under the version(s) of Linux you've tried.  Your detailed description of
the
problems you have had are informative and helpful to the rest of us -- but
please don't exaggerate the extent of the problem by saying things like
"they
always have problems" when referring to any vendor's entire line.

--
Walter Luffman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Medina, TN USA
Diabetics are just sweet people (Type 2 5/99, d/e/m/motorcycle)