> I guess I am just sick of VIA and maybe they are not quite a death trap.
> However, they always have problems. For example, my Geforce2 works crappy
> with the chipset (blurry at any good resolution/refresh rate on a 19

I am using a Matrox G450, so I don't have that problem :). But I don't see
how the chipset can influence your display.

> still have not provided a fix (at least not for my ASUS A7V133.) There are
> other wierd things too, such as the fact that an SB Live card in the

I too have an ASUS, but it's the K7V133. I'm still using the 33/66 IDE bus
rather than the 100mhz bus because I have another legacy drive in there
besides the newer IBM 30 gb Deskstar I bought last October. I've also
heard problems with Linux and the 100mhz bus, but that might have been
made a non-issue at this point. It's OK for em though; obviously, if I
get another drive I'll put it on the 100mhz bus, or avoid the entire issue
and go SCSI, although that option is more expensive of course.

Another point is that I was not building a machine "for Mandrake" but that
I had already a working 7.2 installation and I simply transferred the old
drives into my new system.

I also have an SB Live (5.1/mp3 version) and I have yet to experience any
file system corruption.

> For video card, if you don't care about 3D, matrox rocks!

Yeah - I have a G450, it's quite nice for 2D, but slow for 3D stuff (for
instance, flightgear is too slow to play) but that could be my fault :).

> CPU: Well, I love AMD, as they work best for me and are cheaper than
> Intel. However, you must take into account the chipset thing.

Ditto. I have an AMD 1GNZ here and it's quite fast. It's faster than
a P4 at higher clock speeds. (Don't get a P4 - it's far too expensive and
it's crippled, from what I've read on the techie sites. AMD should show
a TV commercial where the blue guys are in casts.) :)

But to characterize VIA chipsets as "death traps" is going overboard, IMHO.