Michael S,

Your best bet as far as the kernel is concerned is to take a look at the
kernel howto on linuxdoc.org, if you want to build from .tar.gz source.

If you installed kernel-source (check by doing rpm -qa | grep kernel), the
source files are under /usr/src/linux-whatever (where whatever is the
version number of the kernel you have installed--for example, I have kernel
2.2.19 installed, so the sources are in /usr/src/linux-2.2.19.)

Michael V

--
Michael Viron
Senior Systems & Administration Consultant