on 5/9/01 4:43 PM, Jeffrey M. Reed at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 May 2001 15:27, Mark Johnson wrote:
>> My wife's company has asked me about installing a linux
>> server to relay mail within their local LAN and also out
>> to their ISP.  They'd like to run apache and mySQL.  They
>> wanted to know whether they should install RedHat or
>> Mandrake.
>>
>> I'm not sure how to answer them.... why would one be
>> better than the other?
>
> there is no better my friend. they are, in essence, the
> same. the commands, the programs, the security, everything.
> essentially the same. the only baddie i keep seeing in
> RedHat is they mess up the compiler a lot. so, unless
> you're developing a lot, that won't matter.
>
> linux is linux is linux...no matter if it's slack, redhat,
> mandrake, whatever. i'd go with either. linuxbusca runs on
> mandrake and debian...and while it's nothing pretty to look
> at yet, mandrake does the email, web server, and DSL
> gateway. pretty awesome.
>
> just my two cents.

Apache and Mysql won't deliver the mail. Mandrake installs Postfix by
default, which is easier than Sendmail to configure, although neither of
them are actually easy to configure. Mandrake and Redhat are based on the
same installer program, that is all that varies from brand to brand is how
it is installed, and the tools each installs for configuring it.
Darin
--
WIN A TRILLION: $1,000,000,000,000.00 at MoonBughead.com
http://MoonBughead.com/contest/