hi folks,
this is more of a hardware/general computer problem, but it's affecting
my ability to get linux back after i decided to do a major restucturing
of my system!

i have an odd enquiry, i have just had a cable modem installed (ntl -
uk) and went straight to download lm 8.0. i have had to download each
iso about 5 times to get ones that didn't fail the md5sum and i am still
downloading the -ext.iso now!  now, when i did this sort of thing with
dial up i only had one md5sum fail, but with my new super fast cable job
(70 Kbyte/s ish) despite gozilla claiming that all downloads were
successful the md5sum is different in every case, thinking frantically i
remembered that the engineer left me an attenuator for the modem saying
i might need it, is it possible that a signal that is too strong might
'distort' a download such that all the checks of download software could
be fooled?

i don't think so but it's the only explanation i have left, i cannot
think of any reason why the resulting files should be wrong, i have
three hard drives in my machine and i have downloaded to them all!

i have the attenuator on now and i am trying to download, in a couple of
hours i will see if i have a correct file, if any one can suggest
avenues of investigation into what can cause files to be corrupted
despite all appearances then i would be grateful,

tia

bascule