lee wrote:
> Gotta make sure it's not a "winmodem". So 1st make sure your bios is not set
> to "plug&play" 2nd...if your modem has jumpers that take it out of
> plug&play..do those too. I have no idea if this 3com does or not. Perhaps a
> more knowledgable soul can chime in here.Then configure your modem in kppp
> and that oughta do it..hopefully.

Just for the record, a plug&play modem is not necessarily a winmodem.
(And some winmodems do work under Linux.  If you have to buy a modem,
don't buy a winmodem unless you are absolutely sure that it is supported
under Linux.)  And, like lee said, to do that, check out
www.linmodem.org.

Randy Kramer